Wednesday 25 June 2014

"Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." Vintage wedding dress inspiration from Bette!

Dear Reader

Since we have 'Bette' as our lovely vintage wedding dress of the week, I'd like to share the inspiration behind this glamorous design...
The fabulous Bette Davis, in 'Now Voyager'
Bette was recreated from a gorgeous black crepe 1940s evening gown which was one of my very favourites. I always loved the simple elegant shape of it. 
1940s inspired wedding dress 'Bette', priced £1295
The original dress was remodelled slightly to flatter a modern figure, and then a pattern was created from it. The silk crepe I used - in a heavy weight and almost matte - was very popular in the 1940s. This matte effect is easier to wear and can look more sophisticated than satin. And the dress's little asymmetric peplum is very forgiving on the tummy area.
A young Bette Davis, in a gorgeous low-back 1940s dress
The dress is named after my style icon: fabulous 1940s actress Bette Davis. (Yes, you've probably guessed by now, I am a big fan of the black and white so-called ‘women’s films‘ of the 40s!) The quote at the top of this post is Bette's last line from the wonderfully romantic 'Now, Voyager'. 
And so naturally I wanted to have a dress in my collection with that same laidback easy glamour. 
Bette, blonde again, in elegant pants suit.
As well as Bette, I have another gorgeous 1940s-inspired dress in my collection: Florence, which I'm currently remodelling a little to make it even more flattering. I'll be showing new pictures of Florence soon, so do keep watching! 

And please pop back later this week to see Susie, a real bride who looks absolutely beautiful wearing the Bette dress...

Love
Helena
Heavenly Vintage Brides

PS If you like this post, please try: